Leukaemia CARE exists to provide vital care and support to all those whose lives are affected by leukaemia, lymphoma and the allied blood disorders. Our work extends to the welfare of families and carers, as well as that of patients themselves. Quite simply... 'supporting a quality of life'

CARE: www.leukaemiacare.org.uk/
Fundraising: www.raise4leukaemiacare.org.uk/

Anyone can become a fundraiser for Leukaemia CARE and appear on the blog. Email your story to: press@leukaemiacare.org.uk

Bertie Bloodcell

Welcome to Bertie's Blog! Bertie Bloodcell is Leukaemia CARE's fundraising mascot and he's really interested to hear all your stories! This blog will highlight some of the triumphs and successes of Leukaemia CARE's fundraising heroes, and give our supporters the chance to get to know the charity and 'Team Bertie' a little bit better.

Thursday 29 January 2009

Wow I can't believe this is my last day of work experience! This fortnight at Leukaemia CARE has flown by! I have done so much here since I wrote my last blog and really feel I have got a lot out of spending time here. It has been really rewarding putting the skills I have learnt into practice - especially seeing pieces I have written appear in the press and on the Leukaemia CARE website.

As well as helping me to develop new practical skills, carrying out work experience has also developed my confidence and has meant I have met some really lovely people along the way. I would strongly recommend doing work experience to anyone, but I think it is especially beneficial to students like myself...many university or college courses do not include any work experience, yet having relevant work experience can be really useful when it comes to applying for jobs in the future. Before I started looking for work experience placements I was completely clueless about what job I wanted to do when I leave university, but I would now definitely consider a career in the PR and Marketing sector. I would really recommend that students consider applying for work experience at a charity, as, in my experience they are really accomodating and helpful, and are keen to have an extra pair of hands. I feel that this kind of work experience would benefit students from a wide range of courses such as Business, Media, Marketing or Events management.

I won't be gone forever, as I will be coming back to help out the charity when I have some spare time. I am going to be helping out on the Leukaemia CARE stand at the upcoming volunteer recruitment day at the University of Worcester. I think this is a really great way of raising awareness of Leukaemia CARE, the many fun and rewarding ways that people can fundraise, and the ways in which the money they raise hugely benefits the charity.

Sarah

No comments: