Leukaemia CARE exists to provide vital care and support to all those whose lives are affected by leukaemia, lymphoma and the allied blood disorders. Our work extends to the welfare of families and carers, as well as that of patients themselves. Quite simply... 'supporting a quality of life'

CARE: www.leukaemiacare.org.uk/
Fundraising: www.raise4leukaemiacare.org.uk/

Anyone can become a fundraiser for Leukaemia CARE and appear on the blog. Email your story to: press@leukaemiacare.org.uk

Bertie Bloodcell

Welcome to Bertie's Blog! Bertie Bloodcell is Leukaemia CARE's fundraising mascot and he's really interested to hear all your stories! This blog will highlight some of the triumphs and successes of Leukaemia CARE's fundraising heroes, and give our supporters the chance to get to know the charity and 'Team Bertie' a little bit better.

Monday 19 January 2009

Introduction to Sarah!

Hi Everybody,

I thought I'd say hello to you all, as I am currently doing work experience at Leukaemia CARE. I'm 20 years old, and I'm studying Media and Sociology at the University of Worcester, and am doing a fortnight's work experience in the Leukaemia CARE marketing department.

I decided to do some work experience for a number of reasons; the obvious reasons being that it would help me complete my degree, and obtain some work experience. I also chose to come and work here as, despite carrying out work experience in other marketing departments, I have never had any experience working for a charity. I started to research the possibility of carrying out some work experience at Leukaemia CARE, as since a close friend of mine sadly died of leukaemia a few years ago, I have always been extremely keen to support cancer charities.

On the first day of work experience, I was initially surprised that, despite being a national charity, Leukaemia CARE only has one office in England, based here in little old Worcestershire! My first morning was spent meeting everybody in the office, and finding out about the wide range of jobs that are carried out within a relatively small building. I was particularly interested to hear about the Leukaemia CARE Line, which I learnt is the only 24 hour care line like this in the UK. I thought it was brilliant that it is not just those with leukaemia who seek comfort and advice from ringing the CARE Line, but also a wide range of people who may also be affected, such as their friends, family, or employees.

This is only my third day here, and I already feel like I have gained a valuable insight, both in terms of the fantastic work this charity does, and also what it is like to work in the marketing department of a charity. I have gained some great hands-on experience, and despite intially being scared, I even wrote some press releases! The people who work here are all lovely, and really keen to help (and I haven't been told to say this, they genuinely are!). Their enthusiasm and dedication to the charity is infectious and I already have lots of ideas buzzing round in my head about how I can raise money for Leukaemia CARE. I have particularly enjoyed looking at all the fundraising stories and photos you have all uploaded onto the blog, as they are so interesting and inspiring. Last Friday I attended a meeting, where I met Chris Reed from the 'Vinvolved' team, which is a national youth volunteering programme. He highlighted how simple it is to become a volunteer, how even the smallest of fundraising activities can be a great help, and also spoke about the benefits of becoming a volunteer, such as the fact that fundraisers registered with the team can work towards certificates of acheivement.

Anyway, Bye for now...I hope to update the blog again in a few days.
Sarah

No comments: